These two past weekends combined with the string of a week required a knot at both ends.  I am typing now as the day is just begun and the rest of the household is still examining the back of their eyelids.  The truck needed a waterpump change, and while we were there, it was my bright idea to change the timing chain.  That required an additional tearing of the motor as I got the timing wrong.  It’s amazing how well an engine runs when the timing is in the correct position.  On that redo, we changed the timing chain tensioner as well.  So the entire contents are now new and hopefully good for another 100K miles.  The Honda also needed some attention, so that was tackled yesterday.  It took quite a bit of searching to find the correct notes on where the timing marks were, and there was some mention of having to be in a particular position for the timing pick-up.  I could not find anything beyond that mention, so hopped into the job and discovered: 1.) the crankshaft holder tool is a lifesaver.  I made a holder for the truck out of a piece of flat steel with two bolts in the end 3″ apart from each other.  This one just fit directly on the breaker bar.  Yea.  2.) there was a mention that slack on the wrong side of the timing belt could cause problems.  That comment led to three attempts of getting the belt in position.  I would place the camshaft parts first, then try to tighten the front portion of the belt as the tensioner was located on the back side.  This was done by putting the harmonic balancer bolt back in place and using the breakerbar to turn the crankshaft slightly to apply pressure, or rather take up slack on the front part of the timing belt.  I then had to use a stubby screwdriver to help slide the belt over the edge of the tensioner pully.  With the tensioner applied, it ended up in the proper position.  Remember, this took three times to get right, but I figured that was easier than tearing the belt end of the engine again.

Next, we put the car back together again, and I ended up with an extra shroud bolt.  An extra bolt is always troubling.  I felt across the covers and had spouseinbox look at them too.  I crawled under the wheel-well with a flashlight and could not find that empty hole.  Grumble, grumble.  It wasn’t until placing the hood back on the car that I had my answer.  We were missing a bolt that holds the hood.  This time, it was an easier search as I remembered one bolt that was threaded all the way.  Yes, there it was.  I had put it in the horizontal wire bracket under the power steering pump.  To pull out that bolt would require tearing out the power steering.  No thank you.  We will buy another.  A bolt is on my shopping list for today, and there is only parts store open.  Oh well.

In triumph, I pressed spouseinbox into driving us to Chick-Fil-A for a late supper.  We had quite an enjoyable dinner with myself having the chicken club.  We got shakes and mominbox chose an ice cream cone as a close to dinner and then piled into the car.  This time I decided to drive, turned the key and received a click.  The lights went dead.  Black.  Funeral dirge was playing on the next hill.  OK.  I guess that means fuse.  I pulled out the submini flashlight attached to the key an started looking through the fusebox.  There was nothing wrong there.  Scratch, scratch.  I looked at the battery, put a little pressure on the positive terminal lead and it moved quite easily.  Bingo!  The mounting bolt was entirely tightened by spouseinbox, so there was no way to tighten it.  I went into the Chick-Fil-A and asked if they had any aluminum foil.  They didn’t.  They offered a bag which had an aluminum coating on the inside.  Sorry, that won’t work, but thanks for the thought.  (wheels turning, pot boiling on the back burner)  The head’s doorbell rang.  There was a Lowe’s a block away.  They were still open and it was a short walk.  I left mominbox and spouseinbox at the car and started the trek.

i arrived at Lowe’s and went to their plumbing department.  There was a fitting there called a union.  This was 100% copper, and used to solder two 1/2″ pipes together.  All I needed to do was get it cut lengthwise to allow it to expand around the terminal and then the connector would have something to grab.  That was my plan.  I then went to hardware and picked up a package of hacksaw blades.  As a rough country desperation idea, I was planning on holding the union and cutting it while holding the blade.  Definitely not the best of worlds, but should work.  There was an employee there I recognized from previous interactions and on a whim asked if he had a vice I could borrow  for a moment.  “Sure”, was his reply.  He not only had a vice, but on explanation, he had a hacksaw and cut the piece for me.  He then gave me an old wire brush to clean the terminal and I left for 96 cents.  Kidinbox was waiting in the parking lot with the dogs we fed and watched a previous week, and gave me a ride back to the car.  You know, puppies, even at 30 pounds, can have an exponential size increase.  Well, the part was tapped over the terminal, the connector applied, and we drove home.

The next job on this car: adjusting the rocker arms as there is a tick in the front set.  This could prove interesting…

**Update**

Here is a pic of the fix that worked until I changed it to a regular cable end.

batery

Advertisements