The other day our nurse practitioner came to me and asked that I check out the otoscope in room J and see if I can get it working or call someone to have it fixed.  Let’s just admit that I like this kind of work.  It’s electrical and I like figuring out issues.  I went to room J and started poking at the power and the contact switches and confirmed that the ophthalmoscope on the Left would work occasionally and the otoscope on the Right didn’t work at all.  Now, the times the ophthalmoscope worked were about half of the times the main power switch was turned on.  I was thinking maybe there was a bad contact there and since the light on the otoscope didn’t work at all, surmised that the bulb may be bad.  Considering the information gathered, this seemed a reasonable hypothesis.  We are in a facility, therefore, I don’t get to try and fix these issues.   I just get to call someone who can.  After querying the ordering agent, I was directed to a maintenance number.  I dialed.  “Hello, this is nurseinbox calling on a problem with the otoscope in room J.”  I described the issues as best I could and received the response, “OK, we will get someone to check the breaker.”  (blink, blink)

PostScript: The maintenance man arrived, and accepted my explanation and spent time with the unit – not the breaker – and diagnosed some bad cable connections on the base of the unit.  OK, I will admit liking this kind of stuff.  That doesn’t mean I am always successful.

Advertisements