I’m finally getting to sit and relax for a few minutes. Supper is on the stove and the big job is done. Sigh. Feel the chair. Deep breath. Pause. Reflect. I have walked out in the garage a couple of times and surveyed the results of labor. I have also ambulated into the back yard and north side yard to verify water flow there. Let me back up for a moment. Christmas brought a wonderful gift from my doctor. It was good enough that I decided to add a 100 pound propane tank, wall mounted space heater in the garage, hook up the water softener and add a reverse osmosis unit. Granted, not all of this was from the doctor’s gift – we also had a change of pay periods and as such had an extra check comprising one week this month. All combined, it made good progress on some projects at the homestead. The heater was for the garage which housed the washer and dryer, but had no heating or cooling except what came through the door of the kitchen. We now have a back up in case, or rather when the power stops, and a means to warm the garage for winter vehicle projects. The reverse osmosis arrived earlier this week, and upon viewing the setup and requirements, I added an additional pressure tank and piping to both the refrigerator and kitchen sink. The 7 gallon pressure tank was mounted just before the “T” between the sink and refrigerator. The remainder of the reverse osmosis unit was mounted near, or rather over the washing machine. It had a 2 gallon tank which now resides on a corner shelf above the water heater. The discharge from the reverse osmosis is combined with the discharge of the washing machine and piped outside to water the trees. I thought that would be a good way to use the water for which we paid – rather than giving it back to the city to process and pump to the farms towards the East.
There is now a drain which runs out the wall of the garage and connects to two hoses, one going to the apple tree in that yard and a longer one to the Italian Cyprus in the back. I’m really hoping that the additional water will encourage growth as we put them there to block the evening sun which can really blind at supper time. Anyways, that’s what has been keeping us busy, besides the usual household activities. I’m happy that they are all working and I can sit back and enjoy the fruits of labor. Someone asked how long we would have to operate them to pay for the cost of installation. Considering the bottle water we have been using over the years, I’m figuring about 1800 gallons to make us even. This will also make it easier to work on the fish tanks as well.