Spouseinbox and I took Snapshots of Samson to Abilene on Sunday.   It was an interesting experience as the church was African.  I am not referring to the skin color, but the nationality.  We understood about 25% of the service – which was translated.  Some of the translation was worded in a fashion that an idea was grasped at best.  Snapshots of Samson is in English.  I was asked about pauses to translate, and of course being music on video, there was no way to pause.  The pastor attempted something between the first and second songs and then a long talk post the presentation.  He told me that for those who didn’t speak English, they watched the drama and used what they knew of the story.

The show takes about 3 hours to set up and close to 2 hours to tear down.  A small part of the issue is the light stands and bars which were loose in the trailer.  We would just pack them on top of some other boxed items and pray that they would stay there.  This week, I got the whim to fix that problem and spent three days (evenings actually) sizing, cutting and sewing a bag to carry the light poles and bars.  The usual bag from a music store would not work as the poles were too long.  We already have one for the speaker stands.  We went to Hobby Lobby and obtained some canvas in white and black to make the bag.  Anyways, a yard of each color and a yard and a half of webbing for a handle were about right with about 5 inches remaining for Jake to use as a toy.  Pearl had very limited interest.  I’m pretty happy with the result.  There is a 4 foot zipper across the top to allow access and a pocket with velcro on the end to hold the nuts.  There is enough space to also hold the pipe used on the wig stand.  Our equipment has taken another small step forward.

Advertisements