Using nature to assist in one’s comfort and enjoyment is quite a nice idea.  After all, that makes the enjoyment natural.  No one can fuss about the effect as it’s nature too.  I don’t like mosquitoes.  There are other bugs which just bug us.  I have sprayed to keep down the numbers and still have issues.  A discussion of Purple Martins took place at work.  These amazing birds fly between our fair land and Brazil.  If one can attract a Purple Martin, there is a hungry animal who likes to eat flying insects.  There are a few needs of the bird for attraction though.  They are prey for owls and a couple of other birds so like to stay in a high house with nothing around it.  Their house also needs to be removed at the end of the season so that the sparrows won’t try to take up residence.  That means the house has to be high and accessible.  We already have the food supply, so just need to attract the birds.  An acceptable house was obtained from a local farm store and that left the pole.  After negotiation with spouseinbox, we decided to place a pole which would also function as an additional support for the fence as a rough storm blew down that section of fence a few years back and we had to replace.  The height measurement was recommended to be between 10 and 20 feet tall.  The fence was 6 foot and the normal footer was two.  That meant having to dig a hole 4 foot deep to allow a longer pole to be placed and still be accessible when lowered.  small hole

It doesn’t look so from this perspective, but this hole was 4 feet deep.  It was an interesting dig as well considering the caliche.   The fence pole is a 10 foot pole, normally for an 8 foot fence.  We’re using it for support as well as the ability to place a 10 foot pole inside to obtain the required height.  The next question was how to get the internal pole up to position and return it as well.  We added a pulley to the bottom of the internal pole with garage door cable connecting from the top of the fence pole, around the internal pulley and out an external pulley.

Note the notch in the pole for insertion of the pulley frame.  The top part of the pulley was removed and then a hole was drilled through the entire unit with the bottom part threaded to allow the screw to be secured through everything.  The top external pulley was removed from its store mount and given a new mount on the pole.  This one was actually a 2″ piece cut off the pole and then split in half.  Each half was bent to location for the pulley and then drilled and pop riveted into place.  We took a fence cap and drilled a hole the size of the internal pipe and sanded until it fit.  This stabilized the pipe immensely.  We then ran up the pipe, selected a location at an appropriate distance and put a screw to hold the cable and hence the elevation of the bird house.  Once placed, there was a little twist in the wind, so per siblinginbox, I may place a pin to hold the pipes without relying on just the cable, but that is a future project.  At least it is in place now.  We have potential for Purple Martins and hopefully fewer bugs this summer.   assembled pole

Update: I published, looked at the site and then realized the photo editor removed the color when I resized to make pictures smaller for the web site.  I tried to get a smaller one with color and it wouldn’t, so here is the color photo, full size.

IMG_5552

Advertisements